Hey Shy Introvert Sister!!! I want you to know I see you and understand you! It's so weird that while we may feel especially shy in some areas of our life, we aren't in other areas. I've been thinking about it a lot lately asking myself WHY do I feel so shy but not always...I am looking more into this "shyness" and bringing it to the Lord...As it feels right now, here are some of the fears you may have.
Do any of these sound familiar?
- Fear of Judgment:
- Worrying about how others will perceive you and fearing potential criticism or negative judgment
- Fear of Rejection:
- Concerns about being excluded, ignored, or not accepted by others
- Social Anxiety:
- Feeling anxious or uncomfortable in social situations, especially when interacting with new people or groups (this is why I love the buddy system!)
- Fear of Making Mistakes:
- Perfectionist tendencies may contribute to a fear of making mistakes or not meeting self-imposed high standards
- Fear of Failure:
- Anxiety about not succeeding or meeting expectations, leading to a fear of failure and its potential consequences when a mistake happens
- Fear of Being the Center of Attention:
- Shy introverts may feel uneasy about being in the spotlight or drawing attention to themselves
- Tendency to overanalyze situations, anticipate potential problems, and dwell on negative outcomes, which can contribute to anxiety (yep!!!!)
- Lack of Confidence:
- Low self-confidence and self-esteem can lead to fears of not being capable or competent in the new endeavor
- Fear of Unfamiliar Environments:
- Anxiety about navigating new or unfamiliar environments, interacting with new people, or dealing with unknown situations
- Fear of Being Misunderstood:
- Fear saying the wrong thing and feeling discounted; freezing/overwhlem and not being able to think straight
- Concerns about Exhaustion:
- Worrying about the potential drain on energy from social interactions or new experiences, which can be especially taxing for introverts
- Fear of Commitment:
- Apprehension about committing to something new, whether it's a project, relationship, or social event, due to concerns about not being able to perfectly handle the associated responsibilities and expectations
- Fear of Loss of Control:
- Anxiety about not having control over a situation, especially when faced with uncertainty or unpredictability
- Fear of Disapproval from Authority Figures:
- Shy introverts may fear disapproval or criticism from authority figures, such as supervisors or mentors, which can hinder their willingness to take on new challenges
While some of these things would be true for every heart centered person who genuinely cares about the things they do, being shy brings a level of misconnection when our shyness keeps us in these spaces.
When we can begin to recognize ourselves thinking and behaving this way, it's then we can begin to choose courage instead. I've learned a lot about neuroplasticity the past few years and the importance of personal development, growing in emotional intelligence and confidence.
As a Christ Follower, we are strengthened not only in walking in faith but God gave us each other, to sharpen each other's armor, carry each other's corner of the mat and walk through a split sea with!
Grab a friend and walk out this shyness by stretching your comfort zone.
One of the first things I began doing was looking up when I walked into a room and not look down at the floor. I also made the habit of saying Hi to every person my path crossed in public, church, wherever! Not only did I want to push my comfort zone, I wanted the other person to feel seen, in a good way, not in a weird way...but in the way I wish I was seen.
You are more than a conqueror and just remember, no one is asking you to be someone you're not. God gives all of us different personalities and learning styles. We each have. special role in The Body, in The World to serve and do out part. Whoever you are created to be...be HER!! Unafraid!!! Bold & Brave!! Not loud....loving!!!
Your Big Sister Michele
If today's encouragement hugged your HEART today, let me know in the comments or meet me over
in my Facebook Sisterhood Community! Feel free to share this blog with a friend who needs a heart hug too!
This is how YOU get to hug my HEART back!
Heart Hugs and Blessings,