Have you seen the movie Runaway Bride? Ohhhh how this movie spoke to me back in the day to help me see myself and take action on finding me. I grew up for lack of a better term people-pleasing but I didn't see it in that light. My heart's motive was fitting in, more than seeking approval or acceptance. I was one to automatically discount myself so being qualified wasn't even an option really. I just didn't want to draw attention to myself.
For most of my life, I lived genuine to myself, I genuinely lived who I thought I needed to be. What I have learned is discovering your spiritual gifts is a personal and ongoing journey and it begins with realizing you have them too, just like everyone else and they are to be shared with others. It is not prideful (unless that's your heart) to acknowledge them and share them...we were created as part of a whole...they are necessary to acknowledge, develop and share!!
And here's the things, your "gift" will look different than the same "gift" with another. In all of our uniqueness, God didn't set out Gifts in a Box and pass them out when we were born. We each have a unique, one of a kind gift! When I finally let that sink in, it unlocked a lot of freedom in my heart!
Here are some steps to help you identify and understand your spiritual gifts:
- Prayer: Matthew 6:33! Begin by seeking God's design and blessing of who He created and equipped you to be. Ask Him to reveal your spiritual gifts and to provide you with wisdom and discernment as you explore your strengths and abilities. It's tempting to go to the Googles, but let's search God before Google!
- Self-Reflection: Take time to reflect on your interests, passions, and the activities that bring you joy. Consider moments when you felt a deep sense of fulfillment or when you made a positive impact on others. These can be indicators of your spiritual gifts.
- Spiritual Gift Assessments: Use tools and assessments designed to help identify spiritual gifts. Many churches offer resources or classes that guide individuals through the process of discovering their gifts. Online assessments are also available, although they should be viewed as a starting point rather than a definitive answer.
- Seek Feedback: Ask friends, family, and fellow believers for their observations. Sometimes, others can see strengths and gifts in us that we might not recognize in ourselves. Pay attention to the ways people ask you for advice or help.
- Study God's Word: Explore relevant Bible passages that discuss spiritual gifts, such as Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12-14, and Ephesians 4. Understanding the biblical teachings on spiritual gifts can provide insight into your part of the Whole and help you courageously step into them without fearing being something your not!
- Experiment: Be open to trying new things within the church or community. Volunteer for different roles, participate in various ministries, and see where you feel most connected and effective.
- Evaluate Results: Pay attention to the outcomes and affirmations. If you find joy, fulfillment, and a sense of purpose in a particular area, it may be an indication of a spiritual gift at work. take it to God and ask Him to help you grow!
- Be Patient: Discovering your spiritual gifts is a process that takes time. Be patient and allow the Holy Spirit to work in your life. Your understanding of your gifts evolve over time.
- Volunteer: Engage with your church community and participate in group activities. Sometimes, working alongside others can help you discover how your gifts complement theirs, helping you see the part you are as part of the whole.
- Mentorship: Seek guidance from mentors or spiritual leaders who can provide insights and share their own experiences in discovering and using spiritual gifts.
Remember, discovering your spiritual gifts is not a one-time event but an ongoing process of walking out, refining and learning to use the gifts and talents has given to you! Stay connected to God through prayer and study, and surrender to the ways He may be leading you to use your gifts for HIS glory, your blessing and the blessing of others.
You are fearfully, beautifully and wonderfully made Sister Friend! Never discount Who You are!!!!
Hugs & love,
If today's encouragement hugged your HEART today, let me know in the comments or drop a Hello in the socials!! Feel free to share with a friend who needs a heart hug too!
This is how YOU get to hug my HEART back!
While it could be a whole Encyclopedia, here's a little Guide with things I have
implemented since 2009 to help me live a life of greater Peace and Joy..
Heart Hugs and Blessings,